Post Reply  Post Thread 
History Of The Finger In Church
tori65
Legends of the Forum

Group: Registered
Icon_redface  History Of The Finger In Church

During the slavery days when the masters took their slaves with them to public gatherings, the slaves would always sit in the balcony.  When the slave had to go to the bathroom or wanted to be excused for any reason, they would hold their hand up and keep it up until their master acknowledged that they saw their hand and gave them permission to leave or in other words "excused them to leave."

After the slave was given permission to leave, they would hold up one finger as they were leaving to inform anyone that saw them leave that they had been excused.  So it means, "My Master has excused me."Icon_eek

This is where the "holding up of one finger while leaving the Sanctuary" carried over from.Icon_eh  Which goes to show that you should investigate rituals before you follow them.

The next time you see someone holding up their finger, just tell them:  "It's okay to leave the plantation,
you've been freed."Icon_lol

A little black history tidbit.Icon_wink

OUT OF THE MOUTH THE HEART SPEAKS!!!
04-17-2007 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ddg
Legends of the Forum

RE: History Of The Finger In Church

tori65 Wrote:
During the slavery days when the masters took their slaves with them to public gatherings, the slaves would always sit in the balcony.  When the slave had to go to the bathroom or wanted to be excused for any reason, they would hold their hand up and keep it up until their master acknowledged that they saw their hand and gave them permission to leave or in other words "excused them to leave."

After the slave was given permission to leave, they would hold up one finger as they were leaving to inform anyone that saw them leave that they had been excused.  So it means, "My Master has excused me."Icon_eek

This is where the "holding up of one finger while leaving the Sanctuary" carried over from.Icon_eh  Which goes to show that you should investigate rituals before you follow them.

The next time you see someone holding up their finger, just tell them:  "It's okay to leave the plantation,
you've been freed."Icon_lol

A little black history tidbit.Icon_wink

Good one Tori but I think we need to stop going to church so damn much and start living.

A man must have a code. -Bunk
04-19-2007 12:33 PM
TheSun1970
Legends of the Forum

good post tori. glad you mentioned this. black pEOPLE need to learn where all of their recent traditions and customs come from .

ESPECIALLY BLACK WOMEN WITH PERMING THEIR DAM HAIR. TO LOOK WHITE.

TheSunFromThe1970s.
04-19-2007 12:43 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoniJuice
Womens Opinions DO matter

Well, Sun,..
with my daughter, it is to get eh comb thru her hair...lol...without having her resort to , "OUCH!...Mommy you're hurting me!" Hmm??

We all don't need to do things in order to 'look white' instead of to feel 'alright', ok?
I'm Ok with who and what I am, and there is nothing wrong with bettering a good thing....

<~~~Raising hand: Do I have an opinion to be expressed on the board? ...or am I to STFU and be submissive at all times to whatever wind of doctrine comes my way?
04-19-2007 03:03 PM
TheSun1970
Legends of the Forum

Noni confirms my words, claiming PERMING HER HAIR IS MAKING IT(her natural hair) BETTER.
Noni you dont need to convince me of anything. Did you used to have another avatar of a lightskin girl with permed hair?

I already know why you perm your hair. i already know why you considered permed hair better then your natural hair. i already know you will continue attempting to go back and forth with me over this topic because of your denial and self hatred of your natural hair, thus your insecurity and inferiority exposed on a website, which will fuel you to continue trying to bait me in a long dialogue of communication for you to WIN, by virtue of you having the last post on the matter wasting time on something you and I both know is the reason behind why you call your natural hair BADHAIR and your PERMED HAIR GOODHAIR. Reason behind why youll lie and claim you dont call your natural hair badhair. Reason behind while you use quote from your previous post showing you called your natural hair 'a good thing'.
I know all that.

" But unfortunately it will never happen. " - Sugar Ray Leonard turning down Marvin Hagler for a multi-million dollar superfight in '84.

TheSunFromThe1970s.
04-19-2007 03:33 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
selfguided
Legends of the Forum

TheSun1970 Wrote:
Noni confirms my words, claiming PERMING HER HAIR IS MAKING IT(her natural hair) BETTER.
Noni you dont need to convince me of anything. Did you used to have another avatar of a lightskin girl with permed hair?

I already know why you perm your hair. i already know why you considered permed hair better then your natural hair. i already know you will continue attempting to go back and forth with me over this topic because of your denial and self hatred of your natural hair, thus your insecurity and inferiority exposed on a website, which will fuel you to continue trying to bait me in a long dialogue of communication for you to WIN, by virtue of you having the last post on the matter wasting time on something you and I both know if the reason behind why you call your natural hair BADHAIR and your PERMED HAIR GOODHAIR. Reason behind why youll lie and claim you dont call your natural hair badhair. Reason behind while you use quote from your previous post showing you called your natural hair 'a good thing'.
I know all that.

" But unfortunately it will never happen. " - Sugar Ray Leonard turning down Marvin Hagler for a multi-million dollar superfight in '84.

All those hair chemicals and constant burning of hair to straiten it causes irreversible brain damage! Once the damage is done.... WEAVE..... the glue to lay such tracks furthers causes further damage!Icon_eh

04-19-2007 03:42 PM
John Nada
Vanguard of the Resistance

tori65 Wrote:
Which goes to show that you should investigate rituals before you follow them.

Let the chuuuch say "Amen!"

Now go tell that to the followers of Chicago's Pied Piper of Entitlement Feminism.

[color=red][b][url=http://www.marryforeignwomen.com]American Women are the disease; Foreign Women are the cure.[/url][/b][/color]
04-19-2007 04:23 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: